Dental Crowns Melbourne
Dental crowns allow for easy restoration of a tooth’s shape and look. Just like caps, crowns can be placed over a damaged tooth. They strengthen the natural tooth and enclose the portion of the tooth that is visible above the gumline.
Dental crown procedure usually requires you to visit the clinic twice; once for examination and having a temporary crown, and the second for having the permanent crown placed.
People with tight schedules can also opt for same day dental crowns placement procedure.
Porcelain Crowns Procedure
Porcelain Crowns are generally used when damage or decay is so extensive that filling materials cannot make the tooth strong enough. Porcelain crowns can also be used to hold a bridge in place and to cover discoloured or misshapen teeth.
The placement of a porcelain crown might be for a variety of reasons but, in general, most of these reasons will fall within one of the following basic categories:
- To restore a tooth to its original shape.
- To strengthen a tooth (especially if you have had Root Canal Treatment).
- To improve the cosmetic appearance of a tooth.
Porcelain crowns are often made for teeth that have worn excessively, broken, or have had large portions destroyed by tooth decay.
When a crown is made in a dental laboratory, the technician visualises and examines all aspects of the bite and jaw movements from a variety of angles, and sculpts the crown in a manner that it has the perfect anatomy. In some cases, this anatomy will be even more ideal than the tooth’s original shape.
Types of crowns
- Metal: This type of crown can be made of gold alloy, palladium, nickel, or chromium alloy. Metal crowns are ideal for use on the back teeth.
- Ceramic: Ceramic crowns look like normal teeth and are ideal for use on the front teeth. With new materials available, these ceramic crowns can also be utilised in other areas of the mouth.
- Porcelain fused to metal (PFM): PFM crowns look like normal teeth and can be used anywhere in the mouth.
Contact us for same day crowns treatment in Melbourne
Please feel free to contact Cosmetic & Laser Dentistry Centre for enquiring about porcelain crowns and veneers by calling (03) 9500 2084 today.