Cosmetic & Laser Dentistry Centre Specialise in Cosmetic dentist, Porcelain veneers, Porcelain crowns, Invisalign, Dental implants, Composite bonding, Composite veneers, Resin veneers, All on 4 Permadent, Fillers – TMJ, Grinding, Dento-Facial Aesthetics, Natural teeth whitening, Teeth whitening, Aesthetic dentist, Glamsmile veneers, Receding Gums, Pinhole, Gum Graft, Laser Dentist, No needle, no drill dentist, Sleep dentistry at Caulfield North, Caulfield South, Carnegie, Bentleigh, Oakleigh, Ormond, Murrumbeena etc.
Porcelain Crowns are a type of dental restoration which, when cemented into place, fully cup over the portion of a tooth which lies at and above the gum line. Since Porcelain crowns cover the entire visible aspect of the tooth, a crown in effect becomes the tooth’s outer surface. Porcelain Crowns are generally used when damage or decay is so extensive that filling materials cannot make the tooth strong enough. In addition, porcelain crowns can be used to hold a bridge in place and to cover discoloured or misshapen teeth.
The placement of a porcelain crown might be for a variety of reasons but, in general, most of these reasons will fall within one of the following basic categories:
- To restore a tooth to its original shape
- To strengthen a tooth (especially if you have had Root Canal Treatment)
- To improve the cosmetic appearance of a tooth
Porcelain Crowns are often made for teeth which have worn excessively, broken, or have had large portions destroyed by tooth decay.
When a crown is made the dental laboratory a technician can visualise and examine all aspects of the bite and jaw movements, from a variety of angles, and sculpt the crown so it has the perfect anatomy. In some cases this anatomy will be even more ideal than the tooth’s original shape.
Types of Crowns
- Metal – this type of crown can be made of gold alloy, palladium, nickel, or chromium alloy. Metal crowns are ideal for use on the back teeth<
- Ceramic – Ceramic crowns look like normal teeth and are ideal for use on the front teeth. With new materials available these ceramic crowns can also be utilised in other areas of the mouth.
- Porcelain fused to metal (PFM) – PFM crowns look like normal teeth and can be used anywhere in the mouth.
Please feel free to contact Cosmetic & Laser Dentistry Centre at our Caulfield North office for any further enquiries or information of Cosmetic dentist, Porcelain veneers and crowns, Invisalign, Dental implants, Composite bonding, Composite veneers, Resin veneers, All on 4 Permadent, Fillers – TMJ, Grinding, Dento-Facial Aesthetics, Natural teeth whitening, Teeth whitening, Aesthetic dentist, Glamsmile veneers, Receding Gums, Pinhole, Gum Graft, Laser Dentist, No needle, no drill dentist, Sleep dentistry etc.